Black Smoke Fills the Air
Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.
Email This Story
Students beginning Falcon Lunch last Tuesday were confused to see a plume of smoke near the Main Building. Students were kept inside the building until the threat was cleared and then released to go to sixth period.
“I thought the old building was on fire,” said Claire Misfeldt.
All student traffic between buildings was halted by staff members positioned outside the main building and the new building to ensure student safety.
“Immediate action was taken to gather students to either push them back to the new building and the Ninth Grade Center or to immediately bring them inside,” Dr. Rhoades said.
After the buildings were secured and the fire was put out, students were released to finish the day as normal.
Dr. Rhoades confirmed that the source of the fire was construction equipment located in front of the softball field.
“The fire was extinguished very quickly by the fire department and no one was hurt,” Dr. Engle said in her announcement to the school body.
There was very little distraction caused by the incidence. Dr. Engle attributed this to the emergency procedures in place.
The new P.A. system was used to communicate between buildings.
“We ultimately have communication between buildings and between administrators, teachers and staff,” said Dr. Rhoades.
Students may also take actions to to reduce the danger to them in similar situations by staying in designated areas and moving quickly and calmly where they are told to go. They should also make sure that they can hear a teacher’s instructions at all times.
“Students that are out of the designated area where we want them to be potentially puts them at risk,” Dr. Rhoades said.
Although no one was hurt in the fire this week, it is important that students are vigilant about their surroundings.
“It’s all about student safety.”