• Email us at [email protected] to Contribute to the Newspaper!

• We'd love to write about you or something you're involved with!

• Want to be in the newspaper? Stop by Room 6005.

Recap: Terrorist Attacks Shock World

Mourners gather to commemorate loved ones with candles, flowers, and written sentiments.

Sean Gallup/Getty Images

Sean Gallup/Getty Images

Madison Sheldrake, Copy Editor

ISIS has claimed to be behind the recent terrorist attacks throughout Paris, France on Friday, November 13.  Within a half an hour, three teams of terrorists hit a total of six locations, with at least 129 casualties.

Starting at 9:20 p.m., three explosions were set off by suicide bombers outside the soccer stadium Stade de France during a soccer match between France and Germany. While being evacuated for their safety, thousands joined together in singing France’s national anthem.

stadium

At 9:25 p.m., 15 people were killed by masked attackers armed with assault rifles who shot into restaurants at Le Petit Cambodge.

At Rue de la Fontaine au Roi, five were killed in a shooting outside a bar at 9:32 p.m.

aftermath1

At 9:36 p.m., outside of a restaurant in La Belle Equipe, 19 were killed when the attackers opened fire with assault rifles.

Inside a restaurant on Boulevard Voltaire, a suicide bomber detonated at 9:40 p.m. Several were injured, but no deaths were reported.

restaurant

At that same time, during a rock concert in Bataclan Concert Hall, attackers opened fire and took the audience hostage. The attackers made a speech from the stage, in which both Iraq and Syria were mentioned. Eighty-nine people were killed, making this attack the most deadly. French elite police units stormed the concert hall at 12:20 a.m., killing one of the attackers. The other two detonated their suicide belts as the police entered.

Similarities between the attacks include witnesses reporting seeing attackers arrive in or driving black vehicles, and authorities discovering about 100 shell casings at each of the shootings.

After escaping the situation at Bataclan, journalist Julian Pearce told CNN, “We lied down on the floor not to get hurt. It was a huge panic. The terrorists shot at us for 10 to 15 minutes. It was a bloodbath.”

Denis Plaud, a concert patron, hid with 15 other people in a small room upstairs from the theater, and reported that the gunfire was so close it shook the walls. Police told him not to look around, but he emerged from hiding and looked anyway. “There was blood everywhere,” he later told reporters. “Even people alive were covered with blood. There was especially on the ground floor a lot of dead bodies and blood, and some people had been alive and had to stay for several hours among the dead corpse[s] and they went out covered with blood.”

French President Francois Hollande was in the soccer stadium during the attacks. He deemed ISIS’ claim of responsibilities for these events an “act of war.” Three days of mourning were called in honor of the victims. Pope Francis called it a “piecemeal Third World War [with] no religious or human justification for it.” French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve stated that, “anybody who attacks the Republic, the Republic will fight back.”

And that is exactly what they did.

Starting Sunday, November 15, France retaliated. Twelve aircrafts dropped a total of 20 bombs on an ISIS stronghold in Raqqa, Syria. Twenty-four bombs and 30 explosions have since been reported overnight and into Monday. Though ISIS reported Sunday that there were no casualties, an activist group told CNN that although no civilians were killed, ISIS casualties have been reported.

President Barack Obama met with President Hollande to offer America’s condolences and assistance. “This is an attack not just on Paris, not just on the people of France, but an attack on all humanity and the universal values we share,” President Obama stated.

Despite all of the horror and shock that has come from these events, people around the globe are rallying to lend aid and support to the people in France.

candles

Around the world, buildings such as the Sydney Opera House in Australia, the Empire State Building in New York, Wembley Stadium in London, and the Cristo Redontor statue in Rio de Janeiro lit up in France’s national colors (blue, white, and red) to show support and love to the people in Paris.

opera house

Facebook updates allow users to change their profile pictures to display color overlays of the French flag, and those in Paris can mark themselves as “safe” to quickly notify friends and family that they are okay.

The unifying symbol shared throughout the world was created by French graphic designer Jean Jullien. He posted the image to his Instagram and Twitter on Friday. It is now being hand drawn on t-shirts, posters, candles, and other items to show support to the victims.

peace for paris

It was the most spontaneous thing,” Jullien told CNN. “I heard the news on the radio, and I had this heartfelt reaction. I wanted to draw something that could symbolize peace and solidarity, and I wanted something with the context of Paris.”

The hashtags #PrayForParis and #PeaceForParis have flooded social media as people send their condolences and love to the people of France from across the globe.

prayforparis

Hashtags are being used not only to advocate support, but also to directly aid those affected by the attacks. The hashtag #porteouverte allows users on Twitter or Facebook to locate people who are willing to open up their homes to provide shelter to those who need it. This hashtag was even used here in the U.S. after flights were delayed or canceled, leaving people stranded at airports across the country.

Over 300 volunteers responded to the aftermath of the attacks through the French Red Cross. People across Paris lined up to give blood to help the wounded at hospitals and donation centers, despite being told to stay safe in their homes.

On Monday, Lake’s students and staff gave a moment of silence in honor of the victims of these terrorist attacks. Flags are also being flown at half-staff in memory of those lost. Many are saddened by the events happening across the globe, and want to help.

But how?

If you are able, you can donate directly to the Croix-Rouge (French Red Cross) or other charities and organizations through online funds. There are also ways to help families find their loved ones through online lists and social media. Checking in with loved ones could make the world of a difference in this devastating crisis. Even the little things, like changing a Facebook profile picture or sending a tweet can brighten someone’s day and remind the victims of this tragedy that the world stands and grieves with them.

Despite these devastating circumstances, the people in Paris remain strong and support each other as they return to their daily lives.

A father from Paris who was interviewed by CNN at a local school said, “It’s difficult to let them go off to school and for us to return to work, for everyone. We’re all just going to have to look out for one another.”

hope

All photos are from CNN.com