• Email us at [email protected] to Contribute to the Newspaper!

• We'd love to write about you or something you're involved with!

• Want to be in the newspaper? Stop by Room 6005.

Saying Goodbye to Two Great British Icons

Both actors died of cancer, at the age of 69, and both hid their conditions from the world.

www.imdb.com www.telegraph.co.uk

Madison Sheldrake, Copy Editor

This week has been devastating to fans around the world as news of the passing of David Bowie on Sunday and Alan Rickman on Thursday spreads across the globe. Both actors died of cancer, at the age of 69, and both hid their conditions from the world.

For those of us who have loved seeing Alan Rickman on screen in his wide variety of rolls throughout the years, it is heart wrenching news to hear of his passing. Rickman was a great actor who touched many hearts in iconic rolls such as Professor Severus Snape in the Harry Potter movies, and Hans Gruber in Die Hard.

Rickman was a great actor who touched many hearts in iconic rolls such as Professor Severus Snape in the Harry Potter movies.

http://www.geek101podcast.com

Rickman’s family released the following statement on Thursday: “The actor and director Alan Rickman has died from cancer at age 69.” Support and condolences have been spreading all across social media as fans, co-stars, and dear friends hear of his death.

J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter series, tweeted: “There are no words to express how shocked and devastated I am to hear of Alan Rickman’s death. He was a magnificent actor & a wonderful man… My thoughts are with Rima and the rest of Alan’s family. We have all lost a great talent. They have lost part of their hearts.”

Daniel Radcliffe, who played Harry Potter, wrote a blog post as a tribute to Rickman. He wrote: “Alan Rickman is undoubtedly one of the greatest actors I will ever work with. He is also one of the loyalest and most supportive people I’ve ever met in the film industry.” You can read his full post here.

He wrote: "Alan Rickman is undoubtedly one of the greatest actors I will ever work with."

http://www.ew.com
He wrote: “Alan Rickman is undoubtedly one of the greatest actors I will ever work with.”

Actor Richard E. Grant tweeted: “Farewell my friend. Your kindness and generosity ever since we met in LA in 1987 & ever since is incalculable. XX”

James Phelps, who portrayed Fred Weasley in the Harry Potter films, posted on twitter: “One of the nicest actors I’ve ever met. Thoughts and prayers with his family at this time.”

His twin brother, Oliver, who portrayed George Weasley, added: “Terribly sad news about the passing of Alan Rickman. A funny and engaging person who put a shy young actor at ease when I was on HP.”

Fans are sharing a GIF from the film “Harry Potter and the Halfblood Prince,” to commemorate this amazing actor throughout various social media outlets, including Twitter and Tumblr. In the Harry Potter world, wizards raise their wands to show respect and appreciation for all the accomplishments of their fallen friend. Though this scene was for Dumbledore’s death in the movie, it now fits perfectly for Rickman, considering Professor Snape was perhaps his most beloved role. See the GIF in action here.

In the Harry Potter world, wizards raise their wands to show respect and appreciation for all the accomplishments of their fallen friend.

http://i100.independent.co.uk

Because of Rickman’s brilliant performances in film, television, and on stage, we as an audience will never be the same. Because of him, we know that 394 is not just a number, “always” is not just a word, and that a villain can do the right thing in the end. His legacy of bringing bold characters to life and showing humility in success with stay with us forever.

“A film, a piece of theater, a piece of music, or a book can make a difference. It can change the world.” –Alan Rickman.

See a full list of Alan Rickman’s roles, as well as a short biography here.

Actor and musician David Bowie, best known for his albums “The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust” and “Heroes,” as well as his acting roles in “The Labyrinth” and “The Man Who Fell to Earth,” died last Sunday at the age of 69.

Actor and musician David Bowie died last Sunday at the age of 69.

www.nytimes.com

Friends, family, and fans have been mourning the loss of this fierce singer throughout the week. A facebook post written on Sunday by Bowie’s family stated: “David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer.”

Over 4.3 million messages were shared throughout social media to honor David Bowie.

Musician Josh Groban tweeted: “He never seemed of this earth. Now he’s left it. He bent rules, gender, genres, and our minds. RIP David Bowie. One. Of. A. Kind.”

Mick Jagger tweeted: “David was always an inspiration to me and a true original. He was wonderfully shameless in his work… We had so many good times together. He was my friend, I will never forget him.”

"He was my friend, I will never forget him.”

www.dailymail.co.uk
“He was my friend, I will never forget him.”

While the fact that he suffered from cancer is the only confirmed fact regarding his passing, Wendy Leigh, who wrote “David Bowie: the Biography,” has made several claims to inside information.

“Physically, he didn’t just battle cancer, if that’s not enough, he had six heart attacks in recent years,” she told BBC. “I got this from somebody very close to him.”

Whether this fact is true or not remains uncertain for the moment, but it cannot be denied that Bowie did hide extensive medical issues from the world before his death.

Speculation also surrounds his final album, “Blackstar,” and the true meaning behind it. In hindsight of his death, it has become clear that Bowie meant this to be a testament to his death, a final message to be received through his art.

Tony Vistonti, a friend of Bowie who often collaborated with him, stated: “His death was no different from his life—a work of art. He made “Blackstar” for us, his parting gift.”

One line in Bowie’s last song, “Lazarus,” holds a particularly haunting new meaning. “Look up here, I’m in Heaven / I’ve got scars that can’t be seen.”

“Look up here, I’m in Heaven / I’ve got scars that can’t be seen.”

www.dailymail.co.uk

See a full list of David Bowie’s roles and other works, as well as a short biography here.

The devastating news about these two wonderful people has caused heartbreak to fans across the globe. We all mourn in different ways, and the fact that we can share it with those we care about and commemorate these wonderful actors is beautiful.

Will we miss these two great performers? Always.