• Email us at [email protected] to Contribute to the Newspaper!

• We'd love to write about you or something you're involved with!

• Want to be in the newspaper? Stop by Room 6005.

Be a Part of Lake Reflections

Many students find their passion for writing and photography in this class and even pursue their career towards this path.

Paula Smith

Paula Smith

Sandy Jun, Editor-in-Chief

With course selections coming to an end, you find yourself one spot open on your course selection sheet. After hours of scanning your course packet, you seem to be overwhelmed with the amount of free electives to choose from. If this sounds like you, it is never too late to sign up for the school newspaper. Here are six reasons why you should choose to be a part of Lake Reflections next school year.

1. It looks good on your resume. This is especially true for upcoming freshman and sophomores. If you take all three or four years of newspaper like I did, it shows the colleges and universities that you have commitment. If you are an upcoming senior or junior, newspaper still looks good on a resume because newspaper isn’t just a school organization—it is a department. This means that you were willing to take a class that is a big deal to the school.
  2. We are world-accessible. In the 2015-2016 school year, we developed our very own website that people from all over the world can view. How cool is that? In fact, our statistics show that people, although not much, from different countries are looking at our websites. Because it is world-accessible, it is easy to show your grandparents, parents, uncles, aunts, and siblings that you are a part of a truly well-run school newspaper, no matter where they live.
  3. You get staff yearbook discounts. Ever wondered if you could somehow get a discount on the school yearbook? Newspaper is taught by the same teacher as yearbook so each member gets a discount on the school yearbook just because he/she is a part of the school newspaper.
  4. Write stories on whatever you would like. Although, it is important for staff reporters to write whatever the editors tell them to write, we give each and every staff member the freedom to write about anything that they want as long as the topics are school-appropriate. Given this freedom, staff reporters can write about Justin Bieber’s most recent album, Grammy award winners, prom king and queen, how the Rockets won/lost, a new deadly disease in the west coast, and tips on the new fashion trends.
  5. Newspaper can incorporate different talents and interests. For those of you who love to write, newspaper is just the place for you! I joined newspaper my freshman year because I loved to write and wanted to be a part of a department that would help me realize that love for writing. If you do not know how to write very well, no worries! The teacher(s) and editors are more than willing to teach you how to write in newspaper style! Don’t like writing? Join our photography class and learn how to take high-quality photos and see your work be seen by the world! Love to draw? Draw cartoons and comics to satirize, criticize, or enjoy a certain hot topic and see it become available to everyone who comes on the website! If you are interested in business, newspaper is always in need for money to print paper version of the school newspaper. You can organize fundraisers, sell advertisements to local restaurants, and keep track of all the financial aspects of newspaper.
  6. It’s fun! Believe it or not, newspaper is a lot more fun than it sounds. Newspaper isn’t about drowning yourself in papers and pencils. Newspaper allows people from various backgrounds to come together to write/take pictures/draw about things that they are passionate about. Newspaper is about using Apple Mac computers (not to brag) to have the most recent and interesting information at your fingertips. And most importantly, newspaper is about finding a part of you that you never knew existed. I’ve seen, through my four years of newspaper, many students find their passion for writing and photography and pursue their career towards this path. The staff hopes that you can be one of those people too.
  7. You can earn a letter jacket. By being a part of the staff, you can accumulate enough points to earn yourself a letter jacket. Students must earn a total of 15 points to earn a letter jacket.

5 points per semester for editors

3 points per semester for staff/staff photographers

2 points per year or photojournalism

1 point for participating in work night, special events outside of the school day, etc. (Not to exceed 3 points)

1 point for participating in UIL Academic Journalism (regardless of number of events)

Competing at the state level in any UIL Academic Journalism event automatically earns the participant a letter jacket.

1. Third and fourth year students can get advanced credit. By your third and fourth year of taking newspaper, you can enroll in the Independent Study Journalism for newspaper. This means that you can take a newspaper course that is on 6.0 GPA scale rather than a 5.0 GPA scale. This can boost your overall GPA level, given that you do your work.

Keep in mind that newspaper is not a “blow-off” class. We fully expect you to be on-task and do the assignments that have been given to you. Every assignment is given to you because the staff believes that it is relatively easy enough for the reporters to do.

I never expected all the things that I experienced in newspaper and I now know that all the things that I’ve been through over the four years of newspaper are the things that I don’t think I would have experienced anywhere else other than newspaper.

If you have already turned in your course selection sheet, just visit your counselor to make changes to your selections. We hope to see you be a part of us 2016-2017 school year!

Course Numbers:

1701 Journalism 1

1711 Newspaper 1

1771 Photojournalism (10th-12th)

1899 IS: Journalism

Mrs. Paula Smith