• Email us at [email protected] to Contribute to the Newspaper!

• We'd love to write about you or something you're involved with!

• Want to be in the newspaper? Stop by Room 6005.

Karate Kid Kicks Gender Roles

These are harmless, yet bold, decisions and are stirring up a lot of commotion. Some are thought to be taking these statements a few steps too far.

ouchmagazine.com

ouchmagazine.com

Asher Russo, Staff Reporter

Jaden Smith (the Karate Kid) appeared in a photo posted on Instagram, announcing his new inclusion in Louis Vuitton’s Women’s wear. He is shown wearing a knit top, leather jacket and skirt. However, this isn’t the first time the 17-year-old star has worn traditionally feminine clothing.

Smith has been known to wear whatever clothing suits him, and has worn dresses in the past. For his prom, he and his date wore dresses to the dance.

Lord Jamar, a famous rapper and actor, spoke out against Smith’s decision by stating that the younger generation is evolving into “girly men.” He also shared his thoughts on the kid actor getting paid for the ad.

“Me getting $3 million, right? To wear a dress. But the influence that I have, by wearing that dress could last for generations,” Lord Jamar said on Vlad TV. “You understand what I’m saying? To wear that $3 million when you break it down to the influence, it probably breaks down to 50 cents per poisoned-mind.”

Although many are claiming that Smith is simply cross-dressing and “poisoning-minds,” there is a positive message. This is the next step for the new generation to begin understanding gender and gender expression. Many people struggle with gender expression due to social expectations and gender roles.

Smith is taking those gender roles and throwing them out the window. He’s expressing that clothing has no gender and that you should feel free to wear whatever makes you comfortable.