• Email us at [email protected] to Contribute to the Newspaper!

• We'd love to write about you or something you're involved with!

• Want to be in the newspaper? Stop by Room 6005.

PayPal Abandons North Carolina Expansion Plans

“The new law perpetuates discrimination and it violates the values and principles that are at the core of PayPal’s mission and culture,” PayPal’s president Dan Schulman wrote on Tuesday.

epicflowers.com

Asher Russo, Staff Reporter

PayPal, an online payments firm, abandoned plans to expand to Charlotte, North Carolina in response to the new LGBT (lesbian, gay bisexual, transgender) law. The decision was made only a few weeks after PayPal claimed to open a global operations center in North Carolina. This would have contributed millions to the economy and given 400 people job opportunities.

The law states that people must use the restroom of the gender that is listed on their birth certificate. Meaning that they are not allowing transgender men and women in the restroom that aligns with their identity. North Carolina representatives claim that it is for the safety of women and children to “keep men in a dress out of the women’s restroom.”

“The new law perpetuates discrimination and it violates the values and principles that are at the core of PayPal’s mission and culture,” PayPal’s president Dan Schulman wrote on Tuesday. “As a result, PayPal will not move forward with our planned expansion into Charlotte.”

Ultimately this is further causing a problem for transgender. Many transgender people go under hormone therapy to look more like the desired version of themselves. The problem is that this law is forcing transgender women out of the women’s restroom and transgender men in, creating further risks and issues to transgender individuals.

“Transgender people are the ones creating the problem by having people pretending to be the opposite of their actual biological sex even when people can see that they are their biological sex.” said Paul Stam, North Carolina’s state representative. The law came after Charlotte’s nondiscrimination ordinance that allowed transgender people to use public restrooms with the sex that they are identifying as. House speaker Tim Moore claims the law was passed to protect privacy and that there was a risk of letting in a sexual predator.

The law also states that companies are allowed to deny LGBT people any jobs due to religious beliefs.

“As a company that is committed to the principle that everyone deserves to live without fear of discrimination simply for being who they are, becoming an employer in North Carolina, where members of our teams will not have equal rights under the law, is simply untenable,” said Schulman.

Evangelist Franklin Graham called PayPal a “hypocrite” after scrapping their plans.

“PayPal gets the hypocrite of the year award!” Graham said. “This company says they’re not coming to North Carolina because the legislators and Gov. Pat McCrory have passed a law to protect women and children against sexual predators by not allowing men to use women’s restrooms and locker rooms.”

Paypal and North Carolina are continuing to argue over the operations center.