• Email us at [email protected] to Contribute to the Newspaper!

• We'd love to write about you or something you're involved with!

• Want to be in the newspaper? Stop by Room 6005.

ASL Choir Night Approaching

Crystal Erb, Staff Reporter

American Sign Language (ASL) Choir Night is a great way for students to practice their skills learned in ASL to the deaf community as well as CLHS students. During the show, which will be on April 15 and 16, students sign the lyrics of well-known songs.

The ASL students will be performing songs released in the 1940s all the way up to 2016. The decade theme allows students to sign to all different types of music, including hip hop and jazz.

“Deaf community members always show up and love to see them perform,” said ASL teacher Rachel Cook.

Ms. Cook expects near perfection from her students. She wants for them to “interpret the song and the feel of the song to the deaf audience. They can never be too prepared,” said Cook. The students have been preparing for this year’s concert since the completion of last year’s show.

“The performance is always a great success,” said Cook. All the funds received benefit the aneurysm awareness foundation in honor of Cook’s mother.

Each of the students participating in the production has auditioned for Ms. Cook in hopes of presenting his or her knowledge to the deaf community.

You don’t have to be deaf to enjoy the concert, however. Any and all students are welcome to come support and witness the world of music through a Deaf person’s eyes. “The fact that these students are taking these songs and turning them into ASL art is amazing!” said Cook.