• Email us at [email protected] to Contribute to the Newspaper!

• We'd love to write about you or something you're involved with!

• Want to be in the newspaper? Stop by Room 6005.

Students After Harvey

Students Across the District Facing Hard Times in Harvey’s Wake

(AP Photo/David J. Phillip)
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/08/25/hurricane-harvey-strengthens-to-category-2-as-it-crawls-toward-texas/

(AP Photo/David J. Phillip) http://www.ocregister.com/2017/08/25/hurricane-harvey-strengthens-to-category-2-as-it-crawls-toward-texas/

AP

AP

Carolynn Dunn, Editor

Harvey caused chaos for school districts, from the abrupt cancellation of 10 school days across South Texas to preparing battered school for the return of weathered students. But beyond the structure of the schools, Harvey devastated many of the attendants. For senior student Samantha Miller this meant watching her grandparent’s home wash away with the flood.

“It was horrible. I remember going there when I was little.” she said, holding tears back, “Seeing it like that was really hard.”

Miller was in her own house during the storm like many other CCISD students, unable to know the danger her family was in across town. Her grandparents endured four feet of the flooding during Harvey.

“They still had to wait for people to come and get them because they were trapped there.” she said.

Once city officials decided that the area had to be evacuated, it was too late to protect many of the items in her Grandparent’s home. With such short notice, they were only able to take absolute necessities.

“They packed a suitcase so they did have some things with them, but mostly just clothes and medicine,” said Miller, “They can’t take everything with only hours of notice.”

While her grandparents were being rescued by boat, Miller and her family’s precious memories were being destroyed inside along with everything that makes the comfort of a home.

Once the water receded and the damage was assessed, Miller said that all flooring, bedding, and quilt, along with four feet of drywall and sheetrock around the house had to be taken out.

Among what was destroyed was the quilts made by Miller’s great-great grandmother, treasured heirlooms that have been passed down generations.

By the time Miller and her family were able to get back into the home, over a week had passed, mold had set in, and Miller was to return to school the next day.

“It’s hard to stay at school.” said Miller, “It’s still hard knowing that the people you love are going through all that and you can’t be there for them.”

But despite returning to class, Miller makes efforts to help her grandparents from afar. Cleaning clothes that were salvaged from higher shelves at her house and washing dishes saved from her grandparent’s kitchen.

“Our house is a laundromat right now.” said Miller, laughing.

Miller’s Grandparents are not able to move back into their house, and after a two week cleaning effort it seems that they might be displaced for longer.

The neighborhoods surrounding them have also been flooded and many homes are tearing everything out, piling the streets high with debris and moldy material from their homes to be picked up by the city.

“This happened to a lot of people in this area. It was a reality check.” said Miller.

Miller says it will be will be weeks or months before her grandparents can move back into the house. Many other students in the district are facing these situations in their own homes as they transition back into a school schedule.