• Email us at [email protected] to Contribute to the Newspaper!

• We'd love to write about you or something you're involved with!

• Want to be in the newspaper? Stop by Room 6005.

Filed under Local, News, Showcase

Lake Helps Combat Cancer

Clear Lake Students Donate Blood to MD Anderson Cancer Center

On Monday, November 14, workers from the MD Anderson Cancer Center came to Lake take blood donations. The minimum requirements for those donating blood are that donors must be 17 years of age, weigh 110 pounds, eat a healthy breakfast, and have a valid photo ID.

“We had 42 people,” Evett Sunn, one of the workers from the MD Anderson Cancer Center, said. “42 donors came by and be registered and we had collected 18 units out of the 42.”

The process overall takes about 30 to 40 minutes, but blood donation itself only takes five to seven minutes. The reason for the lengthy process is because donors have to register and fill out basic contact information in case any problems arise during the blood drawing. In addition there’s a donor history questionnaire that asks for information on what medications they may be on, recent travel history, medical history and other important information. The screening process is around 55 personal questions about medical history. Following that, each donor has a short physical where heart rate, pulse, and iron levels are checked. Students took time out of their busy schedule to donate blood to those in need.

“All of the blood goes to our cancer patients,” Sunn said. “None of it is sold, and within the next three days it’ll be in a person.”

MD Anderson is the largest cancer center in the world and has been working to cure cancer for the past seven decades. They work towards eliminating cancer with more effective and less traumatic treatments. Patients benefit from these treatments because they will give them the best chance at a high quality of life afterwards. MD Anderson also concerns itself greatly with the donors who help them.

During the drawing around fifth period the fire alarm went off in the new building. Students were immediately alerted by Dr. Karen Engle that this was a false alarm and to return to class immediately. However, this raised concerns of what might occur if a real fire occurred while students were having their blood drawn.

“We would probably have to stop all drawing and clear the area just like everyone else,” Sunn said. “Because our donors are important to us; safety comes first.”

MD Anderson ranks top in the amount of research grants awarded by the National Cancer Institute because of their studies on how cancer starts and reacts to various treatments. Their overall goal is to help patients overcome the disease and prevent a reoccurrence.