• Email us at [email protected] to Contribute to the Newspaper!

• We'd love to write about you or something you're involved with!

• Want to be in the newspaper? Stop by Room 6005.

Q&A with Falcon Army Recruits

Senior Alex McCann said he joined the military because he

Senior Alex McCann said he joined the military because he "wanted to be part of something bigger."

Kylon LaRue

Kylon LaRue

Madison Sheldrake, Copy Editor

Have you ever considered joining the military? Q&A with senior Alex McCann gives new insight to the enlistment process and what it’s like to join as a senior.

Q: What inspired you to join the military?

A: Growing up and watching the news and seeing the war in the Middle East and things like that. I wanted to be a part of something bigger. I also wanted a challenge, so it was a good way to combine the two.

Q: Why did you choose the Army?

A: The Army has really good enlistment options; you can know what job you’re going to get before you go in. Like in my case, I got an airborne ranger contract, which is really hard to get. I prefer the enlistment process and I’m in Army ROTC, so the culture kind of carried over.

Q: How does ROTC tie in to everything?

A: You get exposed to the culture and the values of the army while you’re in so your kind of already used to it and it’s something that you’ve come to respect and appreciate.

Q: What are your duties and responsibilities?

A: In the Army, I enlisted as light infantry, the Army Special Forces group. For ROTC I am the Battalion Command Sergeant Major (CSM). I am the senior enlisted person in the battalion.

Q: Could you give some further explanation on the structure of ROTC?

A: In the real military you have the enlisted personnel and your officers, and in ROTC we have the same thing. We have officer cadets and the enlisted cadets, and I’m the head of the enlisted, so I kind of oversee a lot of the things to do with the newer cadets, the younger ones.

Q: Are you planning to have a career in the Army?

A: I’m going to do it as long as I can.

Q: What are your plans for after your military career?

A: Once I can’t do that anymore, I hope to be a paramedic.

Q: What made you decide that?

A: I have a lot of family in the medical field and I’m in HST (Health Science Technology) here at Lake so I’ve had that exposure. I’ve always wanted a job on my feet; I didn’t ever really want to sit at a desk or anything like that.

Q: Is there anything that has stood out to you through your involvement with JROTC?

A: I would say if anyone is looking into enlisting or planning on it, Sergeant Betts is a great enlister. He doesn’t push you to do anything; he definitely watches out for you and makes sure that you get the job that you want. He really takes care of you, so I’d recommend him as a recruiter.

Q: Was there anyone that inspired you, or was it all just your own drive?

A: It was more just watching the news and seeing what happened. I have some family that’s in the Air Force so that’s also inspiring.

We also sat down with senior Blake Daugherty to get an inside look at the thought process of deciding to join the military.

A: I’d probably say to pay for education, for one, and to serve my country, to make a man out of me. Just to experience the opportunity.

Q: Why did you choose the Army?

A: I felt it would best benefit me. I like how they’re not just in the air, they’re not just on the ground, they’re all over. They are based on the ground, which I like. They’re not Marines, they’re not first.

A: Right now I’m doing logistics. After I get my unit I’ll go in once a month for a weekend. My job title is transportation management coordinator, so it has to do with logistics but I don’t really know what I’ll be doing. Right now, I’m waiting until summer so I can go to Basics. I’ll be gone for five months doing that.

Q: Is this going to be your career?

A: Yeah, I’m going to retire at 38.

Q: Do you have a plan for after retiring from the military?

A: Yeah, I’m going to college to be an engineer. I want to get a master’s degree in engineering, mechanical probably.

Q: Have there been any experiences through this that have been meaningful to you?

A: It’s not really specific moments, but the whole thing is pretty memorable. People look up to me for joining and people come and ask me ‘How was it?’ or ‘How’d you do it?’ It’s inspiring in a way. It’s pretty cool.