• Email us at [email protected] to Contribute to the Newspaper!

• We'd love to write about you or something you're involved with!

• Want to be in the newspaper? Stop by Room 6005.

Teaming Up to Save Earth

Earth Club and AP Environment Science students team up to save Earth.

Anthony Cho

Anthony Cho

Sandy Jun, Editor-in-Chief

The Earth Club and AP Environmental Science classes went to Armand Bayou Nature Center on November 6. They planted locally grown prairie grasses in an effort to restore the prairie. With their joint effort, Earth is now a little bit cleaner.

“The Armand Bayou has a unique set of distinct ecosystems, and one of them is the prairie,” said Anthony Cho, president of Earth Club. “However, inevitably, the prairie is constantly fighting against the progression of shrubs and trees such as the Tallow Tree. Invasive species or not, prairies are in constant need of help from being completely overrun. “

Both groups got more than enough work done in a single session. Together, they planted the second largest amount of prairie grasses in any one session at Armand Bayou.

“Even with just around 20 people, we planted 750 pots of prairie grasses; even with the humidity, the muddy soil, the heat, and all the bugs that were constantly challenging us throughout the day,” Cho said. “The staff and supervisors at Armand Bayou were very impressed by our school group.”

Even with the rough conditions, the students who went on the trip felt the impact that they made on the environment and enjoyed it as much as Cho did.

“I think the trip was a really good experience to get acquainted with what’s going on in the environment around us, and to directly see the impacts of our everyday actions on the coastal prairie environment we live in,” said senior Lekah Yesantharo, who is enrolled in AP Environmental Science. “A lot of us take it for granted, but we have to make a conscious effort to step in and take care of local ecology, or our exploitation of the resources will end up hurting us when they are diminished. I’m really grateful to Mr. Gaworecki for giving us this opportunity that was really fun, but at the same time very informative.”

Through the combined efforts of the AP Environmental Science class and the Earth Club, more and more teens are becoming serious about making Earth a cleaner place.

“This event was in my opinion the most physically demanding event we have had,” said Cho. “However, students that put in the effort have two likely responses. In one case, they already had a passion for the environment, and put in the effort to reinforce and reaffirm this passion. In another case, a student that never really felt too strongly about the environment but figured that for whatever reasons, be it hours, or missing school, or simply having fun, that they would go on this trip. This student has put in the effort, seen the results, and has made a real difference. If this sparks a passion for the environment in this student, we will have made the true difference.”